Summer is the stuff dreams are made of. A time to relax and unwind while enjoying sun-filled days and breezy nights with family and friends. A time where your biggest challenge is deciding whether to have your next BBQ meal on your deck or a nearby lake.
Unfortunately, summer also brings with it pesky annoyances, like extreme heat, humidity, bugs, etc. So, to prevent these sticking points from getting the better of your, here’s how to outsmart them all.
- Mosquitoes – Nothing sucks the fun out of summer like mosquito bites. Help prevent them from crashing your party by getting rid of standing water. Also, make sure there is no trapped water in your gutters – an often neglected breeding site. If mosquitoes invade your indoor living space, plug in a fan or turn on your ceiling fan. Mosquitoes don’t like flying in a whirlwind.
- Sticky Doors – Humidity can cause wooden doors to swell and outgrow their jambs. To prevent this sticky situation, tighten the hinge screws to get your door back in alignment. You also can scale back the weather stripping if it’s currently too bulky for the season. As a last resort, use a plane or sander to shave down the door ever so slightly. Don’t forget to seal the newly exposed edge with wood sealant or paint to block humidity.
- Carpenter Ants and Bees – If left untreated, your outdoor wood furniture can suffer serious damage at the hands of these little critters. At the first sign of an infestation – typically trails of saw dust – contact a pest control company. Keep all exposed wood sealed or painted and direct the sprinkler away from wood.
- Finicky Air Conditioning – Going from your living room to your upstairs bedroom should not require a change of wardrobe. But if the temperature in your home is inconsistent from one room to the next, have your HVAC system inspected. A qualified technician can find the cause of uneven air distribution and fix it accordingly.
- Fruit Flies – There’s nothing like enjoying the bounty of fresh fruit and veggies that only summer can provide. Unfortunately, fruit flies enjoy it just as much. Keep sinks, drains, and disposals clean and wash or load dirty dishes right away. Put rotting fruit in a bag and stick it in your freezer until garbage day. Also, keep produce in a sealed container while out of the fridge.
- Weeds in Cracks – Not only are weeds unsightly, but they can also cause pavement to crack or shift. First, prevent weed growth by filling cracks in with cement or asphalt crack filler or sand. If you already have weeds and don’t want to use an herbicide, you’ll just have to roll up your sleeves and pull them out.
Here at Air Professionals, we don’t perform concrete repairs, but we are your full-service heating and cooling company, able to keep you nice and comfortable all year long. Contact us today for the service you need. In return, you’ll receive a guaranteed price quote along with our 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.