Doctors and other health officials across the US are ringing the alarm bill, exhorting people to take every precaution against this year’s strain of flu, one that already has left its ugly mark.
Only your doctor can offer advice on whether your and other family members should get a flu shot, but we do recommend you take extreme caution to prevent your own personal family outbreak.
Here are some common-sense tips as presented by the Centers for Disease Control:
- Avoid close contact.
Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.
- Stay home when you are sick.
If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. This will help prevent spreading your illness to others.
- Cover your mouth and nose.
Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.
- Clean your hands.
Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Practice other good health habits.
Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work or school, especially when someone is ill. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.
Conway Comfort can help, too, by installing a whole-house HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter in your home. If a family member already is sick, a HEPA filter can help them recover without infecting the rest of you.
HEPA filtration is so effective that hospitals and military installations throughout the world use it. Here’s more:
- HEPA filters remove 99.97% of airborne particles as small as .3 microns in diameter; some can trap even smaller particles.
- Ultra-violet lamps offer another means of combating the spread of viruses. What’s more, UV lamps are effective in removing airborne particles that cause or exasperate allergy and asthmatic symptoms.
- Flu viruses also can be disabled and killed by higher temperatures and humidity levels.
At Air Professionals, we are indoor air quality specialists with numerous solutions to help you fight off the flu and other viruses. With the right filtration solution, you’ll also breathe clean, healthier air all year long. Contact us today for more information and your greater peace of mind.