For many, spring is a time for baseball games, picnics in the park, and backyard barbeques. But for those who suffer from seasonal (or year-long) allergies, springtime is more synonymous with runny noses and itchy, watery eyes. Unfortunately, retreating indoors doesn’t always provide a haven from allergy triggers. To keep your family breathing easier no matter the season, here are 5 home improvement projects to tackle today.
- Change HVAC filters. Cleaning or replacing heating and cooling filters helps provide fast and ongoing relief for allergy sufferers. Allergens and other pollutants become trapped in the filter. Over time, they build up and allow the fan to blow them throughout your home. Start by cleaning or replacing about every 3 weeks and, from there, you’ll figure out the right frequency for your systems.
- Stop water leaks fast. Hidden water leaks can go undetected for weeks or months before they cause any visible damage, allowing plenty of time for mold to grow and release spores into the air. To keep mold and mildew at bay, contact your plumber and ask him to install water leak detectors. They’re designed to sense tiny droplets of water and emit an audible beep so you can take fast, corrective action.
- Install a whole-house air filtration system. If a family member suffers from severe allergies or asthma, consider installing a whole house air filtration system. Working with your home’s HVAC system, they typically feature a HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) filter that traps up to 99.97% of all airborne particles. That leaves you with clean, clear, breathable indoor air.
- Invest in a whole-house dehumidifier. If you live in a house with higher than recommended humidity levels, consider installing a whole-house dehumidifier to maintain healthy air and keep airborne mold spores from wreaking havoc on your respiratory system.
- Update to a smart thermostat. Never mind just temperature control, many smart thermostats monitor indoor air quality both while you’re home and away. If there’s a change for the worse, you’ll instantly be able to adjust your indoor quality equipment accordingly.
Here at Air Professionals, we’re indoor air quality specialists. That’s important because it means we understand that the right temperature can only do so much to ensure your family’s year-round indoor comfort. So, if your allergies are going wild or your air just doesn’t feel or smell right, contact us today for the right solution for any size or type of home.