Come spring, people everywhere pull back the curtains, throw open their windows, and arm themselves with mops, dusters, and household cleaners in an effort to rid their homes of the dirt and dust they may have collected all winter long. But what many don’t realize is it’s just as important – if not more so – to get a home ready for months of hibernation once the cold weather sets in.
You see, in the colder months, we spend a lot more time indoors. And that means more time spent breathing in indoor air that could be five times more polluted than outdoor air, according to the EPA.
So to help you breathe a little easier, here is a checklist of must-do jobs that will leave your home cleaner and healthier for the wintry days ahead.
- Wash and disinfect garbage cans and wastebaskets to remove dirt, grime, and germs.
- Wash and disinfect toilet brushes and holders. Immerse them in a bucket of equal parts hot water and vinegar for a couple of hours, then rinse.
- Tilt upholstered chairs and sofas all the way back to expose the bottoms and vacuum, being careful not to press on the fabric too hard.
- Change furnace filters once a month to keep particulates out of your air. You’ll notice less dust on your floors and furniture, your heating system will run better, and there will be less dirt, dust, and other pollutants to inhale.
- Clean or dust the tops of doors, trim, artwork, mirrors, electrical wall plates, wall-mounted smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, thermostats, upper kitchen and bathroom cabinets, light bulbs, light fixtures, and ceiling fan blades.
- Pull your fridge out and vacuum behind it. This chore alone can reduce your utility bill by $5 to $10 a month.
While cleaning and replacing your furnace filter is a proactive and responsible thing to do, more needs to be done for your heating system to run as cleanly and efficiently as possible. And that’s where we can help with our multi-point heating system cleaning and inspection service. It’s a service that should be performed once a year; even your system manufacturer recommends it. In fact, if you have a newer home heating system, your warranty could be voided in the absence of preventative maintenance. So for warmer days, lower utility bills, and cleaner indoor air, contact Air Professional Associates today to schedule our cleaning and inspection service for your heating system.