5 Ways to Prevent Static Electrical Shock

Static Electrical ShockStatic electricity is both a fascinating scientific phenomenon and an annoying fact of life. Essentially, static charges can build along surfaces under certain indoor humidity conditions and later discharge once touched. The resulting shock is often harmless, but that doesn’t mean it still can’t be painful. Static electricity charges can also harm sensitive electronic equipment.

So, just how prevalent is static electricity in your home during the winter months when your indoors are naturally dryer and conditions for accidental shock are rife?  Here are a few prevention tips for anyone tired of the same old zap:

Humidify the Air:

There are any number of simple ways to add humidity into your indoor home environment.  After showering, for example, leave the door open with your exhaust fan shut off so the steam can escape.  Misting and watering your house plants will also help, as will placing bowls or small pans of water near baseboard heating units or radiators.

Wear Natural Fibers:

Clothes made from synthetics tend to pick up static charges more readily than natural fibers.

Use Anti-Static Hand Lotion:

If your skin is dry, use an anti-static hand lotion to reduce the chance of static buildup. Electricians often use special anti-static hand lotion for certain jobs when handling sensitive electrical equipment.

Go Barefoot:

This is an old-fashioned but still effective way to reduce static buildup. You can cover your shoes with aluminum foil to reduce the build-up, but then that’s not much of a fashion statement, is it?

Purchase Anti-Static Mats & Products:

You can purchase mats, wristbands, heal straps and conductive shoes along with anti-static sprays that can remove static buildup before it can discharge.

Air Professionals can help, too, by installing a whole-house humidifier in your home.  That way, you can maintain constant levels of indoor humidity (around 40%) that are ideal to relieve not just static electricity problems, but dry hands, shrinking wood, upper respiratory issues caused by overly dry air, and more.  We’re Air Professionals, your local indoor air quality specialists, and we’re ready to assist you now.

Air Professionals Provides Service In These and Other
Nearby Communities